Here is one of the easiest, sweet recipe that won many votes from family and friends.. It has been inspired from various sources, and have been modified to suit my taste. Peda is an Indian dessert, which can be made in various flavors, as well as with different ingredients. Here is the easier, ricotta cheese version.
The quantity of ingredients mentioned below makes about 35 Pedas. Can easily make half a batch by cutting the amount of ingredients into half, but given the effort you are putting in to make this, would suggest you make a one big batch. Am already getting ready to make my 2nd batch, this time with saffron flavor. Shall keep the blog posted, depending upon how it turns out 🙂
Ricotta cheese – 32 Oz.
Milk powder (also called Dry milk) – 2 cups
Condensed milk – 4 tablespoons
Ghee – 4 tablespoons
Sugar – 1 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Pistachio – 2 tablespoons, finely chopped
Rose water (optional) – 3-4 drops
- Heat ghee in a in a vessel. Non-stick vessel is highly preferred. Keep the flame on medium throughout the cooking process.
- Add ricotta cheese and stir. Make sure you constantly stir the cheese, such as it doesn’t stick to the vessel. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates.
- Add sugar. The quantity of sugar I have mentioned gives medium sweetness. If you want it more on the sweeter side, use more sugar, as desired.
- Make sure you are continuously stirring the ingredients.
- Add the condensed milk as well as milk powder and cook until the moisture starts leaving the sides of the vessel. This should take about 20-25 minutes. Do not overcook, or it might become dry. The mixture will become bit stiffer once it cools down. So make a judgement call as to when to stop cooking it further. Turn off the heat.
- Add cardamom powder and rose water, mix well.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit, and start making the pedas when you can handle the mixture with your bare palms. The way you make pedas is, apply ghee to your palms, and knead the mixture like a dough to make it really smooth. Make it into desired sized balls, flatten the balls a bit and apply chopped pistachio on top of each. Press it a bit, for the pistachio powder to set.
- Enjoy it warm, or put it in refrigerator for a bit before eating to enjoy it cold.
I tried this at home, and my family and I absolutely LOVED it! Thanks Sonal!
Thank you 🙂