The goodness of roasted potatoes with the crunch of hazelnuts, the aroma & beautiful taste of herbs and garlic, and the simplicity of all, makes this dish truly poetic. This makes for a wonderful summer side dish. But who’s stopping you to eat it during winter or rainy season? 🙂 In fact, this can very well be a stand alone snack – instead of french fries, reach out for this one 🙂
Crunchy Summer Potato Medley | Roasted Potatoes with Hazelnuts & Herbs
- 1 pound Rainbow colored baby potatoes (regular baby potatoes are ok to use as well)
- a handful Hazelnuts
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 10-12 leaves Basil leaves, chopped in chiffonade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiffonade
- 10-12 leaves Mint leaves, chopped in chiffonade
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Tarragon leaves, dried (can use fresh one as well)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste (can use normal salt)
- Lemon pepper to taste (can use normal black pepper powder)
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees farenhiet
- Chop the baby potatoes in quartets.
- Finely chop the garlic. Divide into 2 portions.
- Add the potatoes in a bowl, season with freshly ground himalayan pink salt, lemon pepper and some dried tarragon leaves [leave some tarragon leaves for later use], and half of chopped garlic. Add olive oil and mix well.
- Spread it on a Flat oven safe plate in 1 layer and put inside the oven once it is pre-heated. I used a pizza stone as the plate, which was already hot inside the oven, but you can use any plate. Leave it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost done. After that, turn on the broiler in the oven for about 5 minutes, closely watching the potatoes so that these don’t get burnt. Turn off the oven.
- Roast the hazelnuts (or any nuts) in a plate in microwave at 30 second intervals. Hazelnuts don’t take too long to roast so be careful to not burn these.
- Chop the basil and mint leaves in Chiffonade. Finely chop hazelnuts.
- Once the potatoes are out of the oven, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the remainder of chopped garlic. Saute. Add the roasted potatoes. If the potatoes are already roasted well, then saute for a minute and add the chopped basil, mint, more salt and pepper if needed, some more tarragon, lemon juice and chopped hazelnuts. Stir quickly for 1/2 a minute and turn off the heat. If the potatoes need some more roasting/cooking then you can let it cook on the pan before adding all the greens and spices. The key is to not let the greens wither much in the heat.
- Serve it in a bowl as a side dish, garnish with herbs. Enjoy 🙂
Do share your feedback and rate the recipe if you like it.