Akbari Paneer is a Mughlai Delicacy – A very rich in taste delicacy made with the help of aromatic spices, nuts, butter and cream – a dish true to it’s royal name!
Worry not, I have given healthier option for this recipe so that you can also try it guilt-free. Very easy to prepare, this recipe is sure to bring wows around the table.
This is a vegetarian, gluten-free recipe.
Akbari Paneer | A Mughlai Delicacy
- 8-10 ounce Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) coarsely grated
- 1 quantity Onion, medium sized chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Cashew nuts
- 1 8 oz. can Tomato sauce (may use 3 chopped tomatoes instead)
- 1 can Evaporated milk (can use regular milk instead)
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream (can use whisked yogurt for a healthier version)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Butter/Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Honey
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (or to taste)
- a few Saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons Milk (for soaking saffron strands)
- Coarsely grate paneer. Heat 2 tablespoons of milk, add saffron strands, keep it aside.
- Heat butter/oil. Add all the ingredients listed under whole garam masala, saute' for a couple of minutes. Add chopped ginger, garlic, saute'. Add chopped onion. Saute' for 5-7 minutes on medium heat. Add salt, garam masala, red chili powder and saute' for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, some cashews (leaving some aside for later use). Saute' for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Once the gravy is slightly cooler, remove the whole garam masala as much as you can, keep it aside, and process the gravy in the food processor/mixture to make a homogeneous smooth gravy, using evaporated milk. Return it to the pan and add back the whole garam masala that you had earlier removed from gravy, add lemon juice. Turn on the heat again on medium flame.
- Add the coarsely grated paneer, honey, dried crushed kasuri methi, soaked saffron and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining chopped cashew nuts. Finish it by adding heavy cream. Give it a nice stir.
♥ Did you like or try this recipe? If so, I would love to hear from you. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more delicious posts and recipes. ♥
Serve it with Naan, Paratha, Roti, or Rice. Enjoy 🙂