This vegan black bean chili is a staple at our home. It is delicious, filling and a healthy recipe which is very easy to make. Here in California, it is many times served in San Francisco’s popular sour-dough bread bowls.
Ever since I tried Black Bean Chili several years ago, this has been a regular one on the menu. Tastes delicious when served in a bread bowl. This is a simple yet, very nutritious recipe.
This is recipe 29 of 30 of my 2009 recipe marathon 🙂
Black Bean Chili
This vegan black bean chili is a staple at our home. It is delicious, filling and a healthy recipe which is very easy to make. Here in California, it is many times eaten in San Francisco's popular sour-dough bread bowls.Print Pin Recipe
Servings (slide to adjust): 6
- 3 cups Black beans
- 2-3 qty Bell pepper / Capsicum
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 qty Onion large
- 4 qty Tomatoes medium-sized
- 1 packet Chili seasoning optional. In case you don't have the seasoning skip it or use 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin powder, chili/cayenne powder, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder.
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice add more if desired
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- few sprigs Parsley for garnishing. Optional
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese for garnishing. Use vegan cheese for vegan version. Optional
- 1 tablespoon Green chilies (optional) for garnishing
- 1 liter Water or as needed. Includes the water used for boiling the beans.
- Soak black beans, overnight. Add salt and boil it in a pressure cooker, the next day. Drain. Retain excess water for later use.
- Heat oil. Add chopped garlic, onion. Saute it for a few minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, bell pepper. Saute for about 5-7 minutes. This time, I actually roasted the garlic, onion, bell peppers, etc in the oven before adding it to the gravy. And the taste and aroma of the roasted veggies were awesome.
- Add half the black beans. Simmer it for a couple of minutes.
- Puree these beans in a blender. Return it to heat, adding the remaining black beans.
- Add chili seasoning, salt, pepper, lemon juice. Add the desired amount of water that was retained from draining the black beans. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 10-12 minutes. The consistency of chili is usually on the thicker side.
- Serve hot. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese, finely chopped green chilies, and parsley.
Tried this recipe? Please rate it. Thanks.Follow me on Instagram @eatmoreart
Where is the recipe?
Mrs Ergül says
I will like to have the recipe for the bread bowl! I adore the bread bowl we get from one of the local restaurant chain, it has a nice chew to it!
Hi Mrs Ergül, I did not make the bread bowl at home. I just made the black bean chili.