The joy and aroma of baking bread at home surpasses all the effort it takes to do so! This is my first time baking a bread. My nephew was very enthusiastic about helping me it was great fun baking the bread with him.
Recipe (makes about 18 dinner rolls):
All purpose flour – 6 cups
Yeast – 1 1/2 packet (I used dry yeast)
Egg replacer – 1 1/2 tablespoon, dissolved in water (see my note regarding this)
Milk – 2 cups
Butter – 2 tablespoons
Sugar – 1 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Water – 1 cup
- Warm about 1/2 cup of water for 20 seconds. Add 1 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and dissolve it. Add yeast. Keep it aside for 10 minutes, the yeast will gradually rise.
- Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoon of egg replacer in 1/3 cup of water. I am not sure if using eggs or egg replacer is necessary for this recipe. Next time, I am going to try it without the egg replacer.
- Warm milk and add butter to it, stir until the butter is dissolved.
- Mix the flour, dissolved yeast, egg replacer, salt, milk, salt and knead it into a dough. The dough might be bit sticky, but it’s okay. When you continue kneading it for a few minutes, it will become smoother. Knead dough for about 12-15 minutes. Keep it aside for about 12 hours. I used it within 1 1/2 hours and the result was still good. But longer the duration, the better.
- When ready for baking, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Re-knead dough and roll it out into 2 squares. Cut each into 9 pieces and form balls.
- Line the baking sheet with foil. Grease it with little oil. Place the dough balls about 2 inches apart. Transfer the baking sheet to oven once the oven is pre-heated. Bake it for 25-30 minutes. Turn the oven to broil for the last 1-2 minutes, but keep a close eye while the oven is on broil, so that the bread rolls are not too darkened.
Enjoy hot and fresh, right out of the oven!
(Visited 18 times, 1 visits today)