Jhal Muri is Bengali (Indian) Street Food, which has numerous versions all across India. Made out of puffed rice and various spices and condiments, it makes an excellent evening snack or snack-on-while-you-watch-movie-at-home snack! Basically, if you ask me, it’s eat-anytime-you-are-hungry-snack.
kuchh khatti; kuchh meethi;
kuchh nakeen; kuchh teekhi;
kuchh karrari aur sab ki pyaari Jhal Muri..
It’s like a Bollywood Movie in a bite 😉
We have a different version of this in Gujarat. Here, I am presenting the Bengali / Kolkatta version. I recently made it one day, and then.. made it four days in a row, even skipping dinner two of the days..shhhh. It’s-that-Yummy-humble-street-food!!
- 3 cups Puffed rice (muramurē / mamra ), dry roasted (see note*)
- 3 tablespoons Sev (bengal gram noodles)
- 3 tablespoons Peanuts, roasted or fried
- 3 tablespoons Bengal gram (chana dal), soaked overnight and then fried (or can buy readymade)
- 1/4 cup Cucumber
- 1/4 cup Tomato
- 1/4 cup Onion
- 2 Green chillies
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 4-5 sprigs Cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mustard oil
- 2-3 teaspoons Tamarind chutney (or more if you want it moist)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black salt
- Chop cucumber, tomato into very small cubes. Finely chop onion, green chillies, and cilantro. Julienne ginger. Keep it all aside.
- Mix puffed rice, sev, peanuts. Add the above chopped veggies (keeping some on side to garnish on top).
- Add mustard oil. Do-not-skip-mustard-oil (don’t overdo either). It has a fine, subtle taste. But it is a must for making authentic bengali / Kolkatta Jhal muri.
- Add tamarind chutney, lemon juice. I like to keep a bit on the drier side, do I added very less tamarind chutney.Sprinkle chaat masala garam masala, chili powder, salt, and black salt.
- Serve it in authentic paper cone. Enjoy 🙂
♥ Did you like or try this recipe? If so, I would love to hear from you. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more delicious posts and recipes. ♥