This hearty, healthy, creamy, flavorful, umami Vegan Mushroom Soup is comfort in a bowl. The creaminess comes from the mushroom itself, and in addition, you can add some vegan or dairy milk. Adding any heavy cream is not necessary.
Mushroom Soup is very quick and easy to make. This is a great plant-based and gluten-free soup that is packed with vitamins, fibers, and minerals from mushrooms as well as almonds. Almonds, which is considered one of the brain foods, has also a massive amount of nutrients. Both mushrooms and almonds are considered superfoods. Both these ingredients taste great, are very healthy, and helps make your skin healthy.
- 8 Oz. Mushrooms I used crimini mushrooms. You may use a different kind.
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- a couple of leaves Sage optional. can use any fresh herb
- few sprigs Oregano optional. can use any fresh herb
- 12 qty Almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 qty Onion medium-sized, finely chopped
- 1/2 qty Vegetable stock bullion Can use 2 cups of liquid vegetable stock instead
- 2 cups Milk I used almond milk. You can use either vegan or dairy milk
- to taste Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Thoroughly wash and clean mushrooms. (see note for details)
- Finely chop garlic, ginger, onion.
- Chop 2-3 mushrooms in small pieces. Chop 4 almonds. Keep it on the side. Both these will be used for garnishing.
- Coarsely chop the rest of the mushrooms.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add fresh herbs like sage, oregano or whatever you have on hand. Add the finely chopped almonds (the ones kept for garnishing). Saute. Remove some herbs and all of the finely chopped almonds, keep it on the side. In the same oil, saute the 2-3 finely chopped mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Remove from pan, keep it on the side. All these things will be kept aside for garnishing.
- Bring the vessel back on the stovetop and add an additional 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the same vessel. Add chopped ginger, garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add finely chopped onion, saute for 3-5 minutes.
Add coarsely chopped mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup of water. Add the vegetarian stock bullion in it and dissolve. Add this stock to the soup pot on the stove. If using liquid stock, skip this part and add the liquid stock to the soup.
- Add another 2 cups of water and 1-2 cups of milk. I used almond milk. You can use any vegan or dairy milk. This gives a nice creaminess to the soup without adding any heavy cream. You can cover the soup while it's being cooked if you like.
- Now bring the soup to a boil. Turn off the heat. Let it cool down a bit. Blend the soup in a blender. Add about 8 almonds and give it another whiz. I like the almonds to be coarsely crushed, hence prefer adding it to the blender jar towards the end. It gives a good texture to the soup.
- Serve the soup in a bowl, garnish it with finely chopped almonds and mushrooms that we had kept aside for garnishing. Add herbs, drizzle some olive oil. Enjoy it with nice crusty bread and a salad. The soup tastes best when it's piping hot.
Sometimes due to the color and the design of the mushrooms, it is not easy to know if the mushrooms are cleaned properly. An easy way to clean the mushrooms is to heat water, add some baking soda, and when it comes to a boil, add the mushrooms. Let is boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn off the heat, drain the mushrooms and wash it again under cold water.
♥ Did you like or try this recipe? If so, I would love to hear from you. Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. You can also follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more delicious posts and recipes. ♥