Stuffed Farali Patties make for a great
Wishing you all a very Happy Navratri, Ugadi
Stuffed Farali Patties
For outer layer:
- 4 Potatoes medium sized
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot flour
- Salt – to taste can use black salt (sanchar) instead
- Oil or Ghee (clarified butter) – for deep or shallow frying.
- Boil potatoes. Peel, and grate. The grating is very important instead of just mashing, as it will create a nice smooth, homogeneous mixture needed for the patties.
- Add salt, arrowroot flour. Mash and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Make a paste of ginger, green chilies, and add salt, sugar (optional), lemon juice.
- Take the chopped cashew nuts, ground peanuts, grated coconut, ginger & green chili paste, chopped coriander in a bowl. Mix well. This is the stuffing mixture. Keep it aside.
- Make golf ball sized balls from the potato mixture. Flatten it in the palm and put 1/2 to 1 tablespoon full of stuffing mixture on top of it. Bring together the edges of the potato patties, seal it, and form either into a round ball or a flattened patty. The round ball shape works well for deep frying, whereas the flattened patty shape works well for shallow frying. You can also roll the patties in some arrowroot flour, though I did not find it necessary. Maybe try one and each way and see which one you like better.
- At this point, either heat oil and deep fry the patties or heat a griddle, drizzle some oil/ghee and shallow fry the patties on each side until nicely golden brown.
- Enjoy with green chutney!
- For fasting purposes, please check to see the ingredients are per your fasting restrictions, before using.
- For the purpose of calculating nutrition info, I have assumed the patties will absorb 2 tablespoons of oil when deep frying.