Is it a watermelon? Is it a pizza?
It’s Coconut burfi, flavored with rose water, dressed like a watermelon, plated like a pizza. Kinda like inception of desserts.. Well, sort of.
This is a quick coconut fudge, which takes less than 10 minutes to make and requires minimal ingredients. A fun mithai making project which can be done with kids – sort of like play-dough fun! made A few Diwalis back, I made coconut laddus which is the same recipe, sans coloring.
Made it again this year – the concept of watermelon shape is inspired by one of the recipes from the Mithais of India e-book by Kanak Kathuria. Mithais of India is India’s first crowd-sourced Mithai e-book published by the FBAI this Diwali. I followed my original recipe of coconut laddus and then added the color etc.
Coconut Burfi dressed like Watermelon | Coconut Fudge
Coconut burfi, flavored with rose water, dressed like a watermelon, plated like a pizza. Kinda like inception of desserts.. Well, sort of. This is a quick coconut fudge, which takes less than 10 minutes to make and requires 5 ingredients. A fun mithai making project with kids - sort of like playdough fun!Print Pin Recipe
Servings (slide to adjust): 6
- 2 1/2 cups Coconut powder
- 7 oz. Sweetened condensed milk (also popular by the name of Milkmaid in some countries)
- Green food color, as needed
- Red food color as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon Black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Rose water
- Heat a thick bottomed, wide pan. Add condensed milk and coconut powder.
- Stir for about 8 minutes on medium heat. Turn off the heat. Remove in a plate and let it cool down slightly until you can manage rolling the mixture with bare hands. Add rose water. Mix well.
- Separate the mixture in 3 parts - about 70%, 20% and 10%. In 70% portion, add the red color, mix really well. In 20% portion, add the green color. Mix really well. Keep the 3rd portion aside - to be colored and used in case you run out of the of the 2 colors. If you don't run out of the other 2 colors, then you can just shape this one in laddus and eat 🙂
- Take a small plate or a medium sized container-lid with raised edge. Line it with parchment paper/wax paper, leaving extra paper over the edge. Take part of the green colored fudge, roll it into a thick rope like a play dough and form a ring on the outmost portion of the plate. . This would be the outer layer of the watermelon. Take the red colored fudge and spread it in the center space, till it touches the green layer. Sprinkle black sesame seeds. The final product should resemble a watermelon in the shape of a pizza pie on a plate. Press the mixture slightly into the plate and smoothen the top with the help of a spatula. You can remove the 'watermelon pie' from the plate right away by lifting the wax paper/parchment paper. Repeat for the rest of the mixture. Slice the pie like you would slice a pizza. Serve and enjoy!
1) You can increase or decrease the quantity of condensed milk based on the sweetness and texture you prefer. 2) If the mixture has become too dry, you may add a few teaspoons of of milk to bind it. 3) The uncolored version is the same mixture as is used for coconut laddus. So you can make 2 different forms of desserts out of the same mixture.
Tried this recipe? Please rate it. Thanks.Follow me on Instagram @eatmoreart