Happy Janmashtami to all.
Here is a very easy, quick, delicious version of Kalakand recipe for the occasion. You’ll be surprised how quick and delicious it is. Most of the 25 minutes of time is the cooking time, so you don’t have to do much except for sing and dance in the kitchen while the recipe cooks by itself – well, almost! So here goes..
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Quantity: 16-20 pieces
Ricotta Cheese – 15 Oz.
Condensed milk (sweetened) – 14 Oz.
Rose water – 1 to 2 teaspoons (per taste)
Green cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
Almonds and Pistachios – a handful
- Take a microwave safe glass utensil (preferably square or rectangle) and add the ricotta cheese and condensed milk to it. Whisk well. Put it in microwave and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Sing & dance while the microwave is doing all the work 🙂
- After 5 minutes, take it out from microwave, mix well with a whisk, especially the sides, put it back in the microwave, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Continue on with the dance!
- Take out and mix well, microwave for another 3 minutes, this time covered. Dance.
- Take out and mix well, microwave for another 2 minutes, covered. You can take a break from the dancing this time, and do all the pistachio, almond chopping etc. Gotcha there 😀
- Remove from microwave, mix well. The mixture needs to be microwaved 6 minutes, uncovered this time, but this time at an interval of 2 minutes each. That is, microwave for 2 minutes, remove, mix well, microwave another 2 minutes, remove, mix well and microwave for the last 2 minutes.. phewwwww! Add cardamom powder, rose water and give it a nice mix.
- Press it down and smoothen the surface. Add chopped almonds and pistachios. Let it set in a refrigerator for about an hour (optional), and cut into square pieces. Voilaaa Kalakand is ready! Finish it up with a happy dance 🙂
- Offer it to Krishna bhagwan, if making on Janmashtami and enjoy 🙂
Summary of microwave steps:
Just in case you missed the total microwave timings, and the covered/uncovered bit, here it is summarized for you (see, told ya it’s gonna be easy for ya!). This is only a repeat of part of the steps described above:
5 minutes uncovered
3 minutes uncovered
3 minutes covered
2 minutes covered
6 minutes, uncovered – at an interval of 2 minutes each