- 16 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 14 oz. Sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Saffron / Kesar
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoon Rose water (per taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon Green cardamom powder
- a handful Pistachios, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Milk
- 2 sheets Edible silver foil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried rose petals (optional)
- Soak the saffron in 2 teaspoons of warm milk. Keep it aside
- Take a microwave safe glass utensil (preferably square or rectangle) and add the ricotta cheese and condensed milk to it. Whisk well. Put it in microwave and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Sing & dance while the microwave is doing all the work.
- After 5 minutes, take it out from microwave, mix well with a whisk, especially the sides, put it back in the microwave, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Continue on with the dance!
- Take out and mix well, microwave for another 3 minutes, this time covered. Dance.
- Take out and mix well, microwave for another 2 minutes, covered. You can take a break from the dancing this time, and do all the pistachio chopping etc. Gotcha there.
- Remove from microwave, mix well. Add the soaked saffron with milk which was soaked earlier. The mixture needs to be microwaved 6 minutes, uncovered this time, but this time at an interval of 2 minutes each. That is, microwave for 2 minutes, remove, mix well, microwave another 2 minutes, remove, mix well and microwave for the last 2 minutes.. phewwwww! Add cardamom powder, rose water and give it a nice mix.
- Press it down and smoothen the surface. Garnish it with the edible silver foil. Add chopped pistachios, dried rose petals (optional). Let it set in a refrigerator for about an hour (optional), and cut into square pieces. Voilaaa Kesar Kalakand is ready! Finish it up with a happy dance!!
Summary of microwave steps: