It is a hearty, healthy soup from Southern India. I love the unique combination of lentils with Indian spices, green apple, and radish, all simmered in coconut milk.
This is recipe 17 of 30 🙂
Split pigeon peas (toor dal): 6 tablespoons
Green apple – 1
Carrot – 1
Red radish – 5, small
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves
Ginger – 1/2″ piece
Bay leaves – 2
Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut milk – 2 cups
Tamarind paste – 2 tablespoon
Ghee/butter – 1 tablespoon
Water – 2-3 cups
Vegetable bullion – 1 cube
- Boil split pigeon peas in a pressure cooker, adding salt and turmeric powder. Puree boiled split peas in a blender.
- Grate carrot, red radish, finely chop onion, dice green apple. Mince ginger and garlic.
- Heat ghee/butter. Add bay leaves. Add garlic, ginger, onion at intervals of 30 seconds each. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, radish. saute for a few minutes, Add green apple.
- Dissolve vegetable stock cube in 1 cup boiling water. Add it to the veggies. Add red chilli, cumin and garam masala powder.
- Add coconut milk, pureed lentils, and tamarind paste. Add about 2-3 cups of water, based on the desired consistency. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 10-15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot!
Leave a Reply