Chilly fall evenings call for sipping warm cuppa soup! Make it with fresh turmeric and butternut squash and it takes the taste and health benefits to the next level.
Fresh turmeric is a superfood of superfoods, which is loaded with benefits. It’s especially very beneficial in winters. We incorporate the powder form in most of the Indian dishes. The root form tastes great when added to various foods or even if just eaten as a condiment on the side in pickled form.
Here is one soup that you can add it to your vegetarian/vegan Thanksgiving menu.
I made this one using InstantPot. It can be made without InstantPot as well, and there will not be any difference in taste.
Note: The butternut squash tastes bit on the sweeter side, or at least the one I used was a bit sweeter. The roasted green chilies compliments it quite well and gives that slightly spicy kick to it. If I were to make it again, I would probably make it even bit spicier.
- Cut the butternut squash in half. Remove peels. I found this exercise to be the hardest :). Chop the squash into medium sized pieces.
- Peel turmeric, slice it.
- Roast garlic (with peels on), sliced turmeric, green chili directly on gas. This can be done in an oven too. If roasting on gas, one can use a gas mini tandoor made out of wire (as shown in picture). Repeat the same with sliced onion rounds, chopped butternut squash. Keep it aside once roasted.
- Peel garlic once it’s roasted.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil, add bay leaf, garlic, and onion. Saute for a few minutes. I used the InstandPot and used the saute’ option.
- Heat 1 cup of water. Add and dissolve the vegetable stock bullion in it. Using vegetable stock bullion is optional. Can completely skip it or even use liquid stock. Add the parsley leaves along with stems.
- Add butternut squash, turmeric. Add 4 cups of water and 1 cup of milk, salt, pepper. I also added a bit of turmeric powder. But it is optional. Close the lid and select ‘Soup’ option on the InstantPot.
- When the InstantPot sounds for the time-up, you can either wait for 15 minutes to cool it down itself or manually remove the team by turning the top knob.
- Puree the soup in Vitamix or blender, after removing the bay leaf. Bring it back to the instant pot.
- Add lemon juice. Keep it on warm in instant pot until it’s time to serve.
- Serve the soup. Top it with sliced fresh turmeric, pumpkin seeds, parsley leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.