Sarson Ka Saag is a specialty from Northern part of India. I used 3 different kind of green leafy vegetables in making this. Sarson (Mustard leaves) is generally bitter in taste and so I try to balance off the bitterness by using Spinach leaves. Feel free to change the proportion of the Mustard, Spinach and Fenugreek leaves and the taste will still be great, as the combination of these vegetables is really nice. This recipe generally contains little spices and you can actually taste the greens prominently. Or thats at least how I make it.
This is recipe 14 of 30 🙂 There are about 8-9 items in the queue, which I have made, but are waiting to be blogged 🙂 Will do so soon.
Mustard leaves – 3/4 bunch (substitute with Broccoli rabe if Mustard leaves not available)
Spinach leaves – 1 bunch
Fenugreek leaves – 1/4 bunch
Onion – 1, medium
Ginger – 1/2″ piece
Garlic – 2-3 cloves
Green chilly – 1
Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Baking soda – a pinch
Cornmeal – 2 teaspoons
Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 50 grams (optional)
- Wash all the green leafy vegetables and roughly chop it.
- Peel and finely chop onions, mince ginger, garlic, and green chili.
- Heat water and add a pinch of baking soda. Add the green leafy vegetables and bring it to a boil. After that, simmer it for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and instantly put the greens in a container filled with water and ice. The use of baking soda as well as putting the greens in a container filled with cold water is to maintain the rich green color of the veggies.
- Grind the greens into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil, add garlic, followed by ginger, green chillies, onions, each at an interval of about 30 seconds to a minute. Saute’ for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, salt, turmeric powder. Saute’ for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal to half a cup of cold water and make a smooth paste. Add it to the gravy. Let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add the green vegetable paste and simmer it for 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the paneer into cubes and add it to the saag. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot.